Public Works

Divisions of the Public Works Department



Administration Division supervises and provides support to staff.  Coordinates consultants and vendors and provides contract oversight.  Manages Capital Improvement Projects (CIP).

Sanitation Division serves businesses and residents with collection and disposal of garbage, trash, vegetation, and recycling pickup. It also provides garbage cans, recycling bins and dumpsters as needed.

Grounds Maintenance Division maintains the Town's 28 acres of parks, medians, easements, alleyways, building grounds and greenery, including grass, trees and shrubbery.

Facilities Division is responsible for building maintenance and repair, and assists other departments with special events and functions.

Vehicle Division services Town-owned vehicles and equipment.

Streets and Roads Division repairs and maintains the Town's streets, sidewalks, street signs and signals.  

Stormwater Division repairs and maintains the Town's storm drains and related infrastructure.


Public Works Department

The Town of Lake Park's Public Works Department delivers exceptional service to our residents and businessess who consider Lake Park home.  The Department's 7 divisions - Administration, Sanitation, Grounds Maintenance, Facilities, Vehicle, Streets and Roads, and Stormwater - provide cost effective, creative, and strategic solutions to provide a clean, safe, and high quality community to live, work, and play.  

The Public Works Department is located at 640 Old Dixie Highway and is open from 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.


Richard Scherle, M.P.A.

Public Works Director

Send an Email



This is an unprecedented time for all of us. News is changing daily, sometimes even multiple times per day. Your Public Works team is working diligently to provide you with the level of service you expect from us, however impacts to our staff mean this may not always be possible. We know there may be challenges maintaining our current levels of service. At any time, we may need to suspend recycling, bulk trash and vegetative pickups, and reduce commercial dumpster services. Effective immediately, commercial cardboard dumpster pickups are suspended until April 19.

Please note, while Florida remains under a State of Emergency, the Town of Lake Park will not be issuing wrong day citations or special pickup fees.

The Town of Lake Park will always do our best to provide you with updates regarding any modifications in service you may experience. Please check our website and Facebook page, as well as Comcast channel 18, regularly for the most up-to-date developments in Lake Park. Everyone at the Town appreciates your patience and understanding. We look forward to continuing to serve you, and wish you and yours the best of health.

Weekly Update, Week of March 30, 2020: 

     Monday, March 30: Garbage can pickup

     Monday, March 30 and Tuesday, March 31: Vegetation pickup will begin on Monday and be completed on Tuesday

     Wednesday, April 1: Recycling pickup

     Thursday, April 2: Garbage can pickup

     Thursday, April 2 and Friday, April 3: Bulk trash pickup will begin on Thursday and be completed on Friday



Motorists can expect detours on Old Dixie Highway in the area of Silver Beach Road beginning February 17, 2020 and ending May 17, 2020. These detours are the result of northbound and southbound roadway reconstruction. Right lane construction is expected to begin on February 17 and run through April 1, followed by left lane construction from April 1 through May 17. 


Virgin Trains (formerly Brightline) will be completing railway upgrades at all railroad crossings in Town beginning in March. The crossings at Park Avenue, Silver Beach Road and Northlake Boulevard will be closed (with staggered timing) for Brightline's contractors to complete their work. The Silver Beach Road location is expected to be closed on March 25 and 26, while the dates for the Park Avenue location are to be determined and will be announced as soon as they are available. The timing of the Northlake Boulevard location has yet to be determined by Brightline, but will be communicated as soon as the information is provided to the Town. These upgrades are being made by Brightline to allow an expansion of their service in the coming years. Please exercise caution while traveling in the area during these dates and times. 


1/2/2020 UPDATE: The design for the Lake Shore Drive Drainage system is 100% completed, and was the result of a year-long, intense process involving lots of technical analysis and stakeholder engagement.  The Town successfully obtained all United States Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) and South Florida Water Management (SFWMD) permits, and our primary objective now has shifted from design to securing the grant funding needed to begin construction of the project.  We estimate that the project will cost approximately $5.5 million, with a significant portion coming from a federal Hazard Mitigation grant (HMGP).  We are 100% focused on securing this grant, which has taken many months of review by State and Federal agencies.  Once the funding is secured, the Public Works Department will begin the public procurement process in order to select a qualified contractor able to construct the project.  Once the final contractor is selected, the Town will hold an additional community meeting to discuss how the construction will progress.  We are very excited to be on the verge of implementing a much needed drainage project which will eleviate flooding and allow the area to adapt to future Sea Level Rise (SLR) through the year 2060.  By clicking the above link, you will be able to view the Preliminary Design Report.   The engineering analysis indicates a need for a pump station, roadway reconstruction, and stormwater detention/bio-swale area (among other things), part of which is planned to be located at the north end of Lakeshore Park.  


3/23/20 UPDATE:   The Town of Lake Park is currently working towards the development of a new storm water master plan, which will help the Town's drainage systems to become more effective with a focus on sustainability and resiliency.  A $75,000 grant from the Florida Resilient Coastlines Program was awarded to the Town to help fund the master planning process.  The new plan will emphasize comprehensive Town-wide use of Green Infrastructure and Low Intensity Development techniques to enhance the Town's drainage capacities, improve aethestics, and make the Town more environmentally friendly.  Green Infrastructure is a cost effective, resilient approach to managing wet weather impacts that provides many community benefits, and is a much different approach to stormwater management (as compared to traditional, yet extremely expensive, piping and detention areas).  Green Infrastructure includes measures that use plant or soil systems, permeable pavement or other permeable surfaces or substrates, stormwater harvest and reuse, or landscaping to store, infiltrate, or evapotranspirate stormwater and reduce flows to sewer systems or to surface waters. This project is an exciting project for the Town, and is a new way of thinking about how we, as a community, manage storm water runoff.  Committee meetings are held in the Town Hall Commission Chambers located at 535 Park Avenue, Lake Park, FL, 33403.  As part of the planning process, we will be issuing public surveys to engage the community on stormwater-related issues.  The first survey was distributed in December of 2019 and we are currently reviewing the results.  We look forward to seeing you at the Committee meetings! Note, the dates of Committee meetings are listed on the Town calendar.  


Seacoast Utility Authority is planning to begin work on the Northlake Water Main Improvement Project.  The project consists of water and sewer infrastructure improvements along both sides of Northlake Boulevard from Alternate A1A/10th Street to US1.  Work is scheduled to begin in early 2020, and is expected to take approximately one year to complete.  While the project progresses, lane closures are expected, so please exercise caution while traveling the area.  For more information on this project, please visit  




 What is the sanitation pickup schedule for grey cans, vegetation, and bulk trash?

- Grey cans used for garbage are collected on Monday and Thursday.

- Vegetation is collected on Monday only.

- Recycling is collected on Wednesday only.

- Blue bins are for plastic, glass and aluminum.

- Yellow bins are for newspaper and mixed paper.

- Bulk trash is collected on Thursday only.

Customers may call for a special pickup at 561-881-3345 if service is needed on another day for a special fee.

When a holiday falls on a sanitation pickup day, when will my collection take place?

Generally, for all residential sanitation services, your regularly scheduled pickups will occur on the day following the holiday.  For commercial pickups, your regularly scheduled pickups will occur as regularly scheduled, with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays.  Those pickups will occur on the day following the holiday.  

Who do I call to fill a pothole in the street?

Potholes are filled by the Public Works Department. Please call 561-881-3345. 

How do I apply for a right-of-way permit?

If you are attempting to do work in the public right-of-way, such as a roadway, swale, sidewalk, or other public area, a right-of-way permit is required.  Please call the Public Works Department at 561-881-3345 to obtain a permit form and instructions on how to apply. 

Who maintains the swales in Town?

The swales are maintained by the property owner or their agent.  The Town has recently placed a moratorium on new tree plantings in the swales due to the development of a new storm water masterplan.  Tree plantings already require a permit, so please do not plant anything in your swale unless you have an approved permit.  Improper plantings in the swale can hurt the drainage ability of the swale, and contribute to flood-like conditions in the area.

Who takes care of a tree blocking a stop sign at an intersection?

If the tree is on private property or in the swale, the property owner is responsible. The Town does have the authority to trim back trees that are a traffic safety hazard.

What materials can be recycled?

Place plastic, glass and aluminum in the blue curbside bin.

Newspaper and mixed paper in the yellow curbside bin.

Cardboard can be stacked between the two bins or deposited in the Solid Waste Authority Recycle roll-off bin beside the railroad tracks near Park Avenue.

Why wasn't my cardboard picked up?

Cardboard boxes must be broken down and cut no larger than 14" x 18". Only corrugated cardboard is accepted.

What items can be placed in the dumpster?

Household and/or commercial garbage MUST be bagged, trash and vegetation for pick up. The Town will not pickup: construction materials such as concrete, asphalt, plaster, rock, roofing materials, automotive parts including tires, car batteries, engine blocks, gas tanks, etc. or hazardous materials such as gasoline, lacquer, oil-based paint, explosives, motor oil, pressurized containers, etc. Call the Solid Waste Authority at 561-687-1100 for further disposal information.

Why was my dumpster not picked up?

There could be several reasons. Please call Public Works at 561-881-3345 if this should happen. Typical problems are a vehicle blocking access to the dumpster, dumpster overload, dumpster behind a locked gate, etc.

Why did I get a bill for $35?

A special pickup $35 fee is charged when garbage or trash is put out for collection and picked up on the wrong day.  Also, if your trash or vegetation pile exceeds 20 cubic yards, you will be charged a special pickup fee of $35.00 plus the cost of disposal at the landfill (which is based on weight).

Is Lake Park responsible for water and sewer service?

No, for assistance please call Seacoast Utility Authority at 561-627-2900.

What is a storm drain?

A storm drain catches stormwater and carries it to the Intracoastal Waterway, South Lake or a South Florida Water Management canal. It is separate from the sewer system and is maintained by the Town. Stormwater is released untreated, and therefore, no other liquids or material should ever be deposited down a storm drain.

I just changed the oil in my car, what do I do with the waste oil?

Do not throw jugs of oil in the trash or dumpster. Do not pour down any storm drain or sewer pipe. Waste oil is recyclable and may be taken to the Lake Park Marina for recycling. Additionally, some local automotive repair centers accept waste oil.

Will the Town pick up home remodeling construction debris?

For extensive home projects, a construction roll-off dumpster is required. Call Public Works at 561-881-3345 for information. A small amount of debris from a minor home project may be collected. All debris must be 4' or less.

A sprinkler head is broken on public property, who do I call to report it?

Public Works maintains the irrigation systems in all the Town parks, medians, ball fields and around Town buildings. Call Public Works at 561-881-3345.

If a traffic sign is missing or a traffic signal is not working, who do I call?

Call Public Works at 561-881-3345. Traffic signs are maintained by the Town, but traffic signals are maintained by Palm Beach County or Florida Department of Transportation. The Town will report problems to the correct agency.

There is a street light out on my corner, who takes care of these lights?

Most street lights are repaired by Florida Power & Light, but some lights are maintained by the Town. Please report unlit street lights to Public Works at 561-881-3345.

How do I report a problem with railroad barricades crossing the tracks?

Railroad crossings are maintained by Florida East Coast Railroad. Call Public Works at 561-881-3345 and we will report any problems to the proper authorities.

Tree branches are growing into the power lines, who can cut these down?

Never cut any vegetation in or around power lines. Call Florida Power & Light Company at 561-994-8227 to report this problem.

The easement behind my house is overgrown with vegetation. Who is responsible for the maintenance?

Easements allow utility companies to reach and service their power lines, water and sewer lines, gas lines, etc. Most utility easements are mowed and cleared by the Town. Call Public Works at 561-881-3345 for further information.